Sunday, December 16, 2012

Guest Post: Photographing Your Family- Part 5

Background

Background is important. You can see we are in a garage and it looks like my subject has horns. Be aware of the background. You don’t want things growing out of the head.


You can take care of unsightly backgrounds in two ways. One is simply to zoom in close so that you can’t see it. The other is to move your subject or yourself so that the items in the background aren’t becoming a part of your picture.

 There are times when background is important to have in your picture. I love this picture of my daughter but I’m never going to be able to use it except to show it as a bad example. We are at the pumpkin patch and she is showing me the corn maze. I know that but no one else does. I should have included the background to tell her story.

 Because I included the background here you know, without knowing me, what we’re doing in this room and what is happening.

 In this photo you can’t tell we’re at the Seahawks Stadium in Seattle. You just wonder why that giant lady is about to eat that nose-picking man.

Again, background can tell a story.


Don’t forget to include it.


1 comment:

  1. Love this post. And, love the finale photo. I was just thinking of their family today.

    ReplyDelete